- First Visit
- Patient Account Access
- New Patient Forms
- Financial Policy
- Infection Control
- Nitrous Oxide
- Oral Sedation
- Intravenous Sedation
Do you experience high levels of anxiety when visiting the dentist? You may be a candidate for Sedation Dentistry. Our doctor is Board Certified to administer (oral conscious) sedation, commonly referred to as Sleep Dentistry.
Advantages to patients include:
- Treatment is completed when you are in a more relaxed mood.
- You will have less difficulty sitting through a lengthy procedure.
- Multiple treatments and full mouth restorations can occur at during the same visit.
- Less discomfort after treatment.
The most commonly prescribed dental related drugs that treat anxiety belong to the benzodiazepine family. Drugs such as Valium, Halcion, Xanax, or Ativan. These drugs decrease anxiety by binding and toning down activity within fear receptors in the brain. There are two different types of Benzodiazepines:
- Sedative-Hypnotics: These drugs induce calm, including drowsiness and even sleep. This sleep state is actually a form of hypnosis which is a form of physiological sleep.
- Anti-Anxiety Drugs: These are drugs which relieve anxiety and induce a state of calm and relaxation.
Please note that you shouldn not travel on your own after you haveve taken any of these drugs. Make sure you have an escort, even if you traveled by bus or foot! It is easy to become disorientated.